for frying GEM Olive Oil 1/2 lb Shrimp, deveined, shell on 1/2 cup AP Flour 1/2 cup Semolina 3 tbsp Onion, minced 2 tbsp Parsley, chopped 1 cup Raspberry Jam 2 tsp Chipotle Sauce 2 tbsp Orange Juice to taste Salt
1) Peel the shrimp shells and tails off and place in a saucepan with 2 cups boiling water, cover the saucepan and reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool completely and strain liquid, discard shells and save liquid.
2) Finely chop the shrimp and rub with a little salt. Sift together the AP flour, semolina, and 1 tsp. salt in a bowl. Whisk in 1 and 1/4 cups of the shrimp liquid, setting the rest aside. Add the onion, parsley and shrimp and stir to mix evenly. Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Let come to room temperature before frying.
3) Whisk 4-6 Tbsp of the reserved shrimp liquid into the batter, using enough to give it the consistency of medium-thin pancake batter.
4) Pour enough GEM Olive Oil into a medium sized skillet to have 1/2” of oil in the bottom, bring to medium-high heat. When hot, place a heaping tablespoon of the batter in the oil and immediately flatten the batter with the back of a spoon to form a thin pancake about 2 and 1/2” in diameter. Fry the pancakes until crisp and golden brown, about 30-50 seconds per side, using a slotted spoon move them to paper towels to drain.
5) In a small bowl, whisk together the raspberry jam, chipotle sauce and orange juice, serve with finished pancakes.